Re: How do you fsck a loop-aes filesystem?

dave-mlist@bfnet.com wrote:
> I created a filesystem following Example 3 of the loop-aes README.  My
> /etc/fstab file has a line that looks something like this:
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/crypt ext3 defaults,noauto,loop=/dev/loop0,encryption=AES128,pseed=<someseed> 0 0
>
> So, if I wanted to run fsck on this or just bring the filesystem
> up to date with the journal, how would I do it?

To run fsck manually, do this when /mnt/crypt is _not_ mounted:

    losetup -e AES128 -S <someseed> /dev/loop0 /dev/sda1
    fsck -t ext3 -f -y /dev/loop0
    losetup -d /dev/loop0

> Also, is there any guarantee that the ext3 journal on this filesystem
> is being written to the physical disk?  Or is the loop device
> totally asynchronous?

Device backed loops signal writes as 'done' _after_ lower level driver has
signaled said writes as 'done', so device backed loops are journaling fs
safe.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-