Re: How to find out what kernel module was used for encryption ?

Martin Tischmann wrote:
> after a HD-Crash my kernel modules loop_fish is lost.
> I used twofish for encryption of hole hdīs, but i donīt remember the kernel
> and patch i used.
> On kernel 2.4 i used insmod -f to load the old module, but now it is lost
> and i donīt have any idea how to get my data back.
>
> I gues it was something before cryptoapi and maybe a 2.0 or 2.2 kernel on a
> SuSE 6.4 - 7.1.
>
> Is there any way to find out what module is the right one ?

If you use loop-AES + extra ciphers modules, there is a twofish module that
is 100% compatible with SuSE kernel loop_fish2.c cipher. You will have to
use "phash=rmd160,loinit=1" mount options because SuSE twofish IV
computation is incompatible with normal cryptoapi and loop-AES IV
computation. "phash=rmd160" mount option switches to RIPE-MD160 password
hash used by SuSE mount. "loinit=1" mount option enables SuSE compatible IV
computation.

README files in both packages provide more information about how to build
and use the packages. Here is announcement for latest versions:

http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/2002-06/msg00038.html
  or
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-crypto&m=102433721500760&w=2

Regards,