Re: Announce loop-AES-v1.6e file/swap crypto package

 --- Gian Piero Carzino <gianpiero.carzino@fastwebnet.it> wrote: > Jari wrote:

> > Good setups:
> >
> >     ext2 -> loop -> partition
> >     ext3 -> loop -> partition
> >     reiserfs -> loop -> partition
> >     ext2 -> loop -> ext2 -> partition
> >     ext2 -> loop -> reiserfs -> partition
> >     reiserfs -> loop -> ext3 -> partition
> >                          ^
> >
> >                     data=journal
> >                         or
> >                     data=ordered
> >
> > Bad setups:
> >
> >     reiserfs -> loop -> reiserfs -> partition
> >     reiserfs -> loop -> ext2 -> partition
> >     ext3 -> loop -> ext2 -> partition
>
> If I catch the point:
>    ext3 -> loop -> ext3 -> partition
> should be OK (as long as second ext3 is in data orderd or journal)
> Is that so?
 - I just joined this list: I'm running ext3 -> loop -> ext3 -> partition. I am
not sure what mode I'm in - the default you get when you specify -j. (I read
the manual on ext3 and it was too difficult to decide...). Anyway, it works
fine.

The ENCRYPTION-HOWTO complains that there is no way to change the password.
I've found a way around this - create a random key (which will eventually be
hashed into the crypto-key), and encrypt it with openssl (the command). I've
written a few scripts to do this automatically, including one that sets up a
whole crypto-loopback system (including makeine the underlying file) by itself.
You can change the password for the encrypted passphrase using openssl. This is
confusing - here's a diagram:

Create random passphrase -> encrypt with openssl -> copy to a floppy,etc
To mount it:
Decrypt passphrase with openssl -> feed into losetup -> mount -t ... ... ...
  (these diagrams actually simplify things a lot - people should use them more)

If this is of any possible use to anybody, I will post it somewhere. Scripts
are written in bash, needs openssl, and the crypto stuff.

Hopeing this might be useful to someone in some small way under a somewhat
bizzare set of circumstances,

Charlie Dyson - charlie@charliedyson.net