Re: max_size before generating the same ciphertext

Maybe you misunderstood.

When using CBC mode of operation (the most common one) you have to
periodically change the encryption key to protect your data.

If an attacker finds two ciphertexts with the same value, then they
can starting getting information about the plaintext.

Statistically this is has a 50-50 chance of happening after B64 = 2^(n/2)
ciphertexts.  if n == 64 (like DES) this will be (2^32 * 64bit =
32GByte).

For 128bit block ciphers B128 = 2^64 * 128 = 2^32 * 2 * B64.  So don't
worry about changing VPN session keys in your lifetime.

JLC

--
http://www.certainkey.com
Suite 4560 CTTC