Re: kerneli patch and aes over loopback

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 04:36:29PM +0300, Pavel Minev Penev wrote:
> > 2) is there a way to find out if the given passwd is correct or not
> > before trying to mount the fs and notice that mounting fails because of
> > bad passwd? something like....
> >
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
> >        or too many mounted file systems
>
> I hope there isn't. And there shouldn't be -- the puprpose of
> cryptography is to make your data accessable only to those who know the
> password, if there was a way to tell if a password is invalid, there
> would have been a way to brute force your encrypted partition
> (a character in a password usually give about 5 bits of data, and thus
> an 8-character password gives 5*8 = 40 bits which is breakable, and far
> less secure than a 256-bit crypto key).

H = hash function (sha256)

You could store T1 = E_k1(H(k1))
And test that:

T2 = D_k2(X)

If T2 == H(k2), then there's a good (99.99999) chance that k1 == k2.

WRT protecting from dictionary attacks, they will happen no matter
that you do with a password based crypto deployment.

THis beings me to another question...can loopAES or cryptoloo do
password AND file based FS decryption?  As in:

k = key to filesystem image

k = H(password || bytes_of_users_file).

I have a USB keychain and would like this "something you have" and
"something you know" security added to my "something you are"
biometric laptop.

JLC

> > 3) is there a way to change the passwd? because for example if the user
> > has the same passwd as the login passwd and now someone find out the
> > passwd. what now???? is the only solution for this creating a new crypto
> > file and copying all it's content from one to an other?
>
> I'm sure there is, but I don't know it.

It can be done easily in loopAES since it has a userkey as well as a
FSkey.

FSkey = key to filesystem
Ukey = user's key

Ukey = H(password)
FSkey = random key)

FSkey is stored in FSimage as eFSkey

eFSkey = E_Ukey(FSkey)

So when you change 'password' you don't have to decrypto the whole FS
and re-encrypt in with a new key.  Does cryptoloop have this?

JLC

--
http://www.certainkey.com
Suite 4560 CTTC