Re: latest patches

On 21 May 2002, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

> patch-int-2.4.18.2 also contains an API change to be compatible to the
> last official patch-int-2.4.3 release -- but this may break some code
> depending on the interim API;

A (good) change went in after patch-int-2.4.18.2 that made it possible to
detect the version of the API.

> we are currently working on tracking down one major show stopper bug in
> the loop driver exposed when using XFS and SMP... if it weren't for the
> loop bug, there'd be already an official patch-int lying in
> /pub/linux/kernel/crypto/v2.4/ instead of it hiding in the testing
> folder... :-/

Why not separate the releases?  I'd like to see three packages:

1. Crypto support (no algorithms).  This can go into the official kernel,
   at least once the API is stable.

2. Crypto modules.  Can probably not to inte the official kernel due to
   crypto export regulations.  Can be built outside the kernel tree to
   avoid kernel patching.

3. Encrypted loop driver.

What do you think?

/Tobias