Re: Debian: kerneli, /dev/root=/dev/loop0

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 01:01:21PM +0200, Fruhwirth Clemens wrote:
> i'd like to know if there are any debian users on the list, who have tried
> to integrate patching the kernel to kerneli or initrd generation with debian
> usual mechanisms.
>
> currently my hackish solution integrates quite well with mkinitrd and
> make-kpkg. i'm also using mcrypt to build an additional layer (so passwords
> of loop devices can be changed indirectly). before i start to prepare
> debian packages, i'd like to see how other debian users have done it.

I use the kerneli patches under Debian, but do it really ugly. No
"kpkg", no `mkinitrd`, I do all by hand.

> another question: are there some pitfalls if i copy /vmlinuz to
> /vmlinuz.pure, read the content /vmlinuz of via the filesystem calls and write
> the content back via raw disc access to /vmlinuz.pure? the reason for doing
> that is clear: i need a plaintext kernel image to boot. this solution would
> be more convenient than adding a new 20mb partition for /boot. (of course
> grub won't boot, but the simple lilo - working with block lists - would)

I, personally, don't like encrypting my root filesystem. Instead, I encrypt
sensitive data only. Easier to rescue, boot, backup, "tripwire", ...

I would like to see more nice Debian packages.
Good luck,
--
Pav
-