RE: SECURITY: Patch for broken rc.sysinit in Mandrake 8.2

Mr. Ruusu:

	Wow, I must admit that I had switched from Mandrake back to
RedHat for compatibility reasons in terms of installing software, but I
am very happy a distribution has found it useful to incorporate loop-aes
into its process of installing itself! I do hope RedHat does the same!

	Mandrake is a very nice distribution in my view, but they do not
debug things quickly and perfectly enough for me, thus I feel it lacks
some stable aspects I get with RedHat. If it does become more
commercialized one day, it would definitely interest me to switch back
to it! Problem for me is, that I do consulting and I have to use a
distribution that is stable enough that it can also be deployed for
commercial applications, and I do not feel Mandrake is capable of that
kind of load or even if they offer 24/7 support for it at the moment,
nor (from my experience) is their quality control very good as I have
seen them release (in their last issue) a version which was chalk full
of bugulance, that is unacceptable for me to use in any distribution
which is destined for customers.

	I think that perhaps it would be prudent for us to work on part
of the installation process of RedHat to see if RedHat's installer could
be made to be loop-aes friendly. If that could be done, perhaps RedHat
would also think about making loop-aes inclusive to their distribution
and install process?

	If anyone is willing to make the modifications to the RedHat
installer I am willing to burn the modifications onto a CD-RW and boot
up the modified
CD-ROM and see if it works.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3 (E-4), USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@bh90210.net
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Saturday, January 26, 2002 8:47 AM