Re: loop-aes vs stock loop

Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:06, Erno Kuusela wrote:
> > and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n.
>
> This should probably read =m. I can't think of a reason why the stock
> loop driver shouldn't be compiled, since you can always decide what
> loop driver to load t modprobe time.

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n is the correct way as then there will be only one
loop.o module for each kernel version.

If kernel is configured with CONFIG_KMOD=y as recommended by README file,
there is no need to modprobe the loop.o module. Kernel will load that
automatically on demand.

> > so it's a no-no to have the stock loop driver is compiled as a module
> > (but unused)? why is this?
>
> If this were correct, Jari's claim that loop-AES works with distributor
> kernels wouldn't hold, since they all compile loop.o as module (they
> compile _everything_ as modules ;-).

Loop-AES README says that you must recompile and install your kernel before
you attempt to compile loop-AES' loop.o module. README also tries to explain
why that is needed. There are many ways things can go wrong if that is not
done.

> On Thursday 07 March 2002 14:02, Juan Quintela wrote:
> > This is if you are compiling loop-AES outside of the kernel, you need
> > loop module from loop-AES.
>
> So what? You can overwrite the original loop.o without problems. It
> sitll doesn't make sense to me why  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n should be a
> requirement... (!y, obviously, but =m should be OK).

Reason why CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m is bad, is that if user does "make modules
&& make modules_install" on kernel source tree, kernel Makefile will happily
copy its loop.o to /lib/modules/WHATEVER tree. And then you have _two_
loop.o modules sitting there. Fortunately depmod/modprobe utilities are
smart enough not to puke if that happens.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>
-