Re: loop-aes vs stock loop

>>>>> "marc" == Marc Mutz <Marc.Mutz@uni-bielefeld.de> writes:

marc> On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:06, Erno Kuusela wrote:
marc> <snip>
>> CONFIG_MODULES=y

marc> That's so you can actually use loadable modules.

>> and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n.

marc> This should probably read =m. I can't think of a reason why the stock
marc> loop driver shouldn't be compiled, since you can always decide what
marc> loop driver to load t modprobe time.

This is if you are compiling loop-AES outside of the kernel, you need
loop module from loop-AES.

>> so it's a no-no to have the stock loop driver is compiled as a module
>> (but unused)? why is this?
marc> <snip>

marc> If this were correct, Jari's claim that loop-AES works with distributor
marc> kernels wouldn't hold, since they all compile loop.o as module (they
marc> compile _everything_ as modules ;-).

I think that jari claims that loop-AES works with distributor kernels
are more in the sense that they work with _any_ kernel, i.e. for
instance Mandarke kernel differs a lot for _any_ vanilla kernel from
ftp.kernel.org, and we can use it without problem.  international
patches _used_ to work only with specific kernel versions (notice that
last time that I tried, I was able to compile international patch
against Mandrake kernel).

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy
-