smart cards

hi people, is there anyone who could give me an url that describes how
smart cards work, and what are they good for. I mean, I read about cipher
performances on smart cards, but actually I dont understand how can I store
keyfiles on smartcards, or how all this thing works. I asked a many people,
but nobody was able to give me an answer. if someone could help me, I'M
looking forward to it. thx
Regards,
Greg

ps: I'M mostly interested about storing encrypted keyfiles on smartcards,
and so on.

-