Re: [arch-general] powernow-k8 fails to load with linux 3.7.2

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:32:33 +0100
André Przywara <andre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:37:17 +0100
> Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> (updating Matthew's email as per MAINTAINERS)
>
> > On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 07:40:44PM -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> > > Arrh, modprobe still does not exit cleanly with this...

> > It is supposed to work that way: we return an error from the
> > powernow-k8 init function so that it doesn't load but hand off to
> > acpi-cpufreq so that it gets loaded instead.

> > > Udev 196 and 197 + linux <= 3.6.11 yield correct CPU autoprobing.
> > > However, udev 197 + linux 3.7.2 do not. I haven't tested udev 196
> > > with 3.7.2 though, but it does not look like a udev issue.
> >
> > Hmm, I'll bet this has something to do with the fact that HW_PSTATE is
> > in another CPUID function on AMD than on Intel and udev doesn't see
> > that bit to load acpi-cpufreq automatically.
>
> But the acpi-cpufreq does not export it's dependency on some CPUID
> flags, since it is an _ACPI_ module. Shouldn't the load be triggered
> while parsing the ACPI tree instead?
>
> $ /sbin/modinfo drivers/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko | grep alias
> alias:          acpi
>
> $ /sbin/modinfo drivers/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko | grep alias
> alias:          x86cpu:vendor:0002:family:000F:model:*:feature:*
>
> How does ArchLinux loads acpi-cpufreq on Intel CPUs? It should now be
> the same mechanism on AMD. Or does it have acpi-cpufreq somehow
> hard-coded in the scripts for GenuineIntel?

In both cases Intel and AMD we rely on the kernel/udev autoprobing to insert
correct CPU and KVM drivers, i.e. there are no custom scripts or manual loading
of modules via systemd. However, in Intel's case acpi_cpufreq is loaded
correctly (and always has been). Indeed, on an Intel core2duo:
 $ dmesg | grep -i cpufreq
[    9.005851] ACPI: Requesting acpi_cpufreq

> Regards,
> Andre.

Sincerely,
L.