Trying to set governor results in instantaneous reboot on MSI K8N Master2-FAR with dual Opterons

Hi all,

I'm trying to get CPU frequency scaling to work on an MSI K8N
Master2-FAR motherboard running dual Opteron 252.

At first, the powernow-k8 module wouldn't load saying "No such
device", but after a BIOS upgrade from version 1.1 to version 1.42
from MSI, the 'powernow-k8' module loaded without problems. The dmesg
output when loading is attached as dmesg.txt.

The output of `cpufreq-info' after loading the module looks fine, and
is attached as cpufreq-info.txt

I can also load the two governor modules cpufreq_conservative and
cpufreq_ondemand without any problems.

However, whenever I try to change the scaling governor to anything
else than the default (performance), by running e.g.

cpufreq-set -r -g ondemand

or

cpufreq-set -c 0 -g ondemand

I get an immediate reboot!

I've also attached my /proc/cpuinfo as cpuinfo.txt.

The two Opterons are OSP252FAABL.

I'm running an up-to-date Arch Linux (x64) with kernel 2.6.37.

Another interesting bit is that the "Cool'n'Quiet" option that was
present in BIOS version 1.1 disappeared when I upgraded to 1.42.

I originally posted my problem on the Arch Linux Forum but was adviced
to bring it here. My original post can be found at [1].

Anyone have this board working with frequency scaling and dual CPUs?
Would love to get it to work as I'm more interested in silence than in
performance, and frequency scaling would allow my fans to spin down a
bit when I'm not doing CPU intensive work.

Note that my processor model isn't detected (in /proc/cpuinfo or by
cpufreq-info). I believe this could possibly be due to BIOS not
recognizing the model either. The OSP252FAABL is identical to the
OSA252FAABL I think. It's just that they were only sold to system
builders like HP and IBM. Found mine on eBay. Could the fact that the
exact model isn't recognized by the kernel have something to do with
my reboot problem?

Thankful for any advice/help!

Best regards,
Elvis

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=902284
powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Processor Model Unknown (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0x12 (2600 MHz), vid 0x6
powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0x10 (2400 MHz), vid 0x8
powernow-k8:    2 : fid 0xe (2200 MHz), vid 0xa
powernow-k8:    3 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0xc
powernow-k8:    4 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0xe
powernow-k8:    5 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12
powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0x12 (2600 MHz), vid 0x6
powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0x10 (2400 MHz), vid 0x8
powernow-k8:    2 : fid 0xe (2200 MHz), vid 0xa
powernow-k8:    3 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0xc
powernow-k8:    4 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0xe
powernow-k8:    5 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: powernow-k8
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 109 us.
  hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.60 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.60 GHz, 2.40 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1000 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 1000 MHz and 2.60 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 2.60 GHz.
analyzing CPU 1:
  driver: powernow-k8
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 1
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
  maximum transition latency: 109 us.
  hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.60 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.60 GHz, 2.40 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1000 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 1000 MHz and 2.60 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 2.60 GHz.
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 37
model name      : AMD Processor Model Unknown
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2600.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5229.72
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 37
model name      : AMD Processor Model Unknown
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2600.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5228.22