Re: scaled CPU frequency to half but no changes in power from battery - intel i5 on ASUS U30JC

The energy efficiency of your netbook (and therefore its battery life) depends significantly how you use it.

Simply reducing the CPU frequency will not necessarily improve battery life. Most of the time, the CPU is idle and its frequency has little effect on the power consumption of it in this state.

If you are performing CPU intensive workloads (such as video or audio transcoding, games, etc) then the CPU frequency may have an impact on battery life, but research shows [1] that even then, reducing the CPU frequency can actually negatively impact energy efficiency.

Regards,
Etienne Le Sueur

[1] http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/LeSueur_Heiser_10.abstract