Re: Issues with ondemand governor

The general problem here is that the ondemand governor is aimed more at
power savings than performance.  In cases where the ondemand governor
performs worse than the performance governor, the "sampling_down_factor"
tunable is often useful.  I submitted the patch to add this tunable a
few weeks ago and it was acked by Venki, but I don't know what happened
to it after that.  It helps in two ways:

1) the governor does not spend as much overhead on the governor when the
CPU is truly busy

2) the governor is a lot less eager to downshift when the CPU is busy --
without this patch, even on a busy system ondemand will blip down in
clock speed surprisingly often, hurting performance.

This patch is all about improving peak load performance.  On quite a few
loads I've tried this patch with a sampling_down_factor of 100 matches
the performance governor quite well while the original ondemand
performance was poor.  On the other hand, it is not much help if you are
trying to minimize power consumption on light to medium loads.  If you
set sampling_down_factor to "1" it preserves default behavior.

David C Niemi