RE: [RFC] Add support for modern AMDs to acpi-cpufreq

> From: Thomas Renninger [mailto:trenn@xxxxxxx]
>
> On Monday 22 March 2010 22:31:52 Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > We currently have two drivers that parse _PSS and then do trivial writes
> > to MSRs based on the results - acpi-cpufreq and powernow-k8. This seems
> > less than ideal. The following patch adds support for modern AMD cpus to
> > acpi-cpufreq. If we decide that this is the way forwards, powernow-k8
> > can then be deprecated and retained only for older systems.
> >
> > In principle, support for older chips that need fid and vid set
> > separately could also be provided - but this adds rather a lot mroe
> > hardware-specific complexity for the sake of old hardware, so it doesn't
> > seem worth it. This is also missing a couple of sanity checks that
> > powernow-k8 performs, which could be added easily enough if people like
> > this.
>
> I'd also love to see this happen.
> This probably should stay in linux-next for quite some time.
> I can help testing if others agree that this can/should be done.

I'm not opposed to this on principle.  Some of the new features
like AMD's Core Boost and Intel's Turbo differ in implementation
enough to make merging them tricky, but I suspect it's possible.
I would definitely prefer to keep the old FID/VID support in
powernow-k8.c.

I'll run some tests today and see if anything noticeably breaks.

-Mark Langsdorf
Operating System Research Center
AMD