Re: cpufreq-set -f ignored

Hi *,

> > Oh. That's interesting. This may also explain the sudden drops in CPU
> > frequency while working (power plugged in and online serving ...).
> > Maybe my
> > BIOS is broken ... I'm owning a Dell Latitude D810 and the BIOS.
>
> I remember Dells limiting via _PPC call. They needed special handling
> because they also reduced the freq on their own instead of leaving
> this to one instance, the OS.
>
> > Ok. I'm going to grab the current kernel-sources and compile along
> > with your patch to check my hw_limit data.

So, I got myself the linux-2.6.31-rc6 from kernel.org, compiled it and
installed it. I also went on to get any BIOS updates from DELL and flashed
anything on the laptop, which wasn't fast enough to run and hide.

Things differ a bit, since I managed to get 1,87 GHz ... but just for a few
seconds. I'm currently stuck at 1.33 GHz.

Though my systems tells me I could run at 2.13 GHz, I'm not able to switch to
this speed.

Anyway ... I don't get a hw_limit file in the /sys/*/cpufreq/. I looked at
make menuconfig in the kernel, but missed to see if I had to turn on any extra
switches. Do I miss somthing, or is this the wrong kernel version?

# uname -a
Linux demandred 2.6.31-rc6 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 14 10:18:33 CEST 2009 i686
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.13GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
# find /sys/devices/system/cpu/ -iname "*hw*limit*"
#

BTW: where are the max frequencies for the several governors stored? How do
they compute?

kR: Oliver