CPUFREQ: temps not improving and mid-range multipliers not utilized

Hello,

I've recently configured CPUFREQ, and it "appears" to be working from my
angle: using the ondemand governor, the frequency changes between the
high and low frequencies (2.14 and 3.2).  However, there is no
corresponding change in temperatures between having CPUFREQ disabled at
3.2GHZ and, CPUFREQ enabled at 2.14GHZ.  From what I understand, this is
not "normal" behavior: frequency changes via CPUFREQ should affect the
CPU temperatures.  Here is a rundown of temperatures I've monitored (all
temps listed are the ambient CPU temp, are when CPU is idle):

CPUFREQ not in use (and stepping disabled in bios):

3.2GHZ = 46.5 degrees C
2.4GHZ = 39.5 degrees C

CPUFREQ enabled (obviously, stepping enabled in bios):

3.2GHZ = 46.5 degrees C
2.14GHZ = 46.5 degrees C

>From what I understand, using CPUFREQ SHOULD bring the temps at 2.14GHZ
down to around or below 39.5 degrees, yet the temp remains constant as
if the CPU frequency was at 3.2GHZ.  (note: frequency changes monitored
with both cpufreq-info and "Frequency Scaling Monitor" panel applet)

Also, 2.14GHZ (x6 multiplier) and 3.2GHZ (x9 multiplier) are the only
stepping values available via userspace governor (and the only ones used
by ondemand).  Is it abnormal for the mid-range multipliers (in my case
x7 = 2.49GHZ and x8 = 2.85GHZ )to not be used?  Any input or help would
be greatly appreciated.

Setup:
Motherboard: EVGA 780i
CPU: Intel q6600
Linux Distribution: Arch Linux 64

I'd give more information/output if I knew what else to give.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

5arge