Re: New C6 state in intels nehalem

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:44:56AM -0600, michael k lang wrote:

> I would like to be able to put a single core to the C6 state.  Also to
> set individual frequency of cores in a socket.

C states are handled by the ACPI processor driver, not the cpufreq
driver. They're a function of the idle loop in the kernel - a CPU in a C
state other than C0 can't execute code. To the best of my knowledge,
it's not possible to set the frequency of individual cores in a package.
The primary reason to alter frequency is to be able to drop the core
voltage, and Intel's architecture fixes the voltage per package.
Dropping the frequency of an individual core rather than the entire
package wouldn't save power.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx