Re: cpufreq/e_powersaver resets scaling ranges

On Thursday 11 December 2008 18:20:56 you wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I am using the current 2.6.27.8 kernel on Fedora 10:
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.27.8.tar.bz2
>
> I am experiencing resets in cpu scaling policy using cpufreq and the
> e_powersaver driver on my Cloudbook which uses a VIA C7-M CPU.

<snip>

> Unfortunately, there have been reports of other cloudbook users losing
> keyboard and touchpad input after the cpu frequency scales to 400MHz, so
> we try to set the policy to never allow cpufreq to scale that low. When
> the reset occurs, apparently it does enter that condition soon after.
>
> I recently sent a bugreport to RedHat but it might take some time. I was
> advised to ask here and in the least I might maintain my own kernel with
> a patch until it's committed upstream.

May be you are experiencing throttling, I say this because I already saw
something similar, and in the case I saw was caused by passive trip point in
acpi provided by bios/dsdt being too low, also was a Via based netbook. If I
remember correctly you can check current state (if throttling is active)
looking at /proc/acpi/processor/CPUn/throttling

Try loading thermal module with option psv=-1 to disable passive trip point
limit (add "options thermal psv=-1" to /etc/modprobe.conf or load manually
giving the option), or even use the "off" option to disabling thermal control
entirely if the first one doesn't help, this is only a suggestion and may be
not your real problem, it would require to see the dsdt and debug more to see
what's happening. Can you attach acpidump output? (I don't know on Fedora but
probably is on a package named pmtools).

--
[]'s
Herton