Re: Could Totem protocol be tuned to work in microsecond's level?

Junliang,

> Hello Honza,
>
> 在 2014-07-15二的 15:59 +0200,Jan Friesse写道:
>> Junliang,
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> 	From this mail list , I found some guys had done many latency tests
>>> with totem protocol. And in corosync configuration file , all parameters
>>> are set in millisecond's(ms) level. I just wonder if it could be
>>
>> It's impossible directly from configuration file. And in a code such
>> change would be quite difficult. If you want to try, take a look to
>> qb_loop_timer_add calls (and specially QB_TIME_NS_IN_MSEC constant).
>>

> Yes, it is quite difficult to change source code. What I really want to
> do is finding out how to tune corosync in a small cluster (right now no
> more than four nodes).
>
>>> possible for us to tune corosync in microsecond's(1/1000 ms) level, of
>>> course, only for two nodes' case(connect two nodes directly without
>>> switches or routers). Maybe it doesn't make sense to use corosync in
>>> such "real time" case.
>>
>> Honestly, I don't think corosync will work with such a small timeouts.
>>  From time to time it's even problematic to create membership with
>> default 1sec timeout. Also Linux is not very real time, and (for
>> example) IO can kill "realtime" behavior.
>>
>> Just for curiosity, what are you trying to achieve? Having shorter then
>> minimal 30 ms for failure detection or something else?
>>

> Yeah, a shorter failure detection is my goal. Now we have a two-node
> cluster, running same application with same inputs, and then produce
> same output. Finally, we choose an output of one node to use and drop

Ok

> another node's output.  It takes about 20ms to do HA switch (just tell
> which node's output to use) while failures happen. Now, we try to
> replace this mechanism with corosync and cluster resource manager like
> pacemaker. Maybe it is a wrong way, but we want to have a try. By the
> way, what would you do while in such a low switch time situation?

Basically, we didn't had such requirement before. And honestly, I'm
unsure how to solve it (as I said, there are productions where even 1sec
is not enough). At least corosync is really not designed for such
use-case. But if you want, you can give a try to change MINIMUM_TIMEOUT
(totemconfig.c file) to some lower value and you will see what will happen.

Regards,
  Honza