Re: How does corosync pick a multicast address

Steven,

If one doesn't pick a multicast address in the config file, how does corosync pick the address to use? I have three different clusters, none of them specify mcastaddr in corosync.conf and I see with tcpdump that they're all using different multicast addresses:

239.192.96.8
239.192.173.163
239.192.93.197

How does corosync come up with the 'default' multicast address?

since corosync 2.x, corosync can choose multicast address based on cluster name. Algorithm is same as with cman, so: Base is always 239.192. or ff15::. Then clusterid is computed as can be seen in totemconfig.c generate_cluser_id function (basically ASCII addition of cluster_name). That cluster id is incremented by ring number (so rings doesn't collide).

This value (16-bit) is ether directly added to IPv6 addr or taken as 2 8-bit values and added to IPv4 addr.

Regards,
  Honza

-Steven Willis