Re: Message mis-delievered to a configuration ?

On 10/24/2013 03:31 PM, sathya bettadapura wrote:
Hi All,

I think I am noticing what appears to be an anomaly, so just posting here for sanity check.

We have a stress test that does frequent network partitioning/reunification to exercise code related to node fail-back. We're based on version 1.4.6. We were were based on 2.x.x until libqb made its way into the core of corosync. As our company policy precludes us from using anything but BSD style licensed third part source code, we had to either rewrite libqb or go back.

Lets's say we have four nodes A, B, C and D. A and B are one side of a network segment and C and D on the other. The network can be partitioned by pulling a cable connecting the two segments.

When there is a configuration change, we need to re-compute application state by sending messages to the new members. Such a message identifies the originating node and the size of the cluster at the time. And this message is logged in application log.

When the cluster goes from A,B,C,D to (A,B) and (C, D), on A-B side, we see message from A that says "From A, cluster size is 2". Immediately thereafter there's another config. chage  to take the cluster back to (A, B, C, D). Now we see messages from A, C and D that the cluster size is 4. But we see two messages from B, the first one says the cluster size is 2 and the second one says it's 4. It appears that the message from B when the cluster size was 2, could not be delivered as there was a config. change right on its heel, but it's being delivered to a configuration different from the one where it originated. Is this expected behaviour ?

Messages are originated by the totem protocol and ordered according to EVS when they are taken off the new message queue and transmitted into the network.  This is different then queing a message (via cpg), which is not origination.  Are you sure your not confusing origination with cpg_mcast?

Generally the correct way for an application to behave according to EVS is to originate all state change messages via the protocol, and act on them when received.  Some devs tend to change state when they used cpg_mcast rather then change state when a message is delivered.  This would result in your example behavior.

Just to clarify, your application only changes state on delivery of a message to the cpg application (not on queueing via cpg_mcast)?

Regards
-steve

     Sathya