Questions about defragmentation process in totem_deliver_fn()

Hi All,
I have several questions about the defragmentation process  in totem_deliver_fn().
1) what is the use of the local variable "start"? I saw it may be changed to 1 from 0 but no one use it.

2) When "start" is changed to 1, iov_delv is also changed, but no one use it too. Why?

3) when throw_away_mode changed from INACTIVE to ACTIVE,  it seems it means that we got a message does not carries the continuation number we expected.  Beside discarding the continued message, why we do not try to  deliver the following messages in assemly buffer immediately?