Re: [announce] Accord, a coordination service for write-intensive workload

Hi Ozawa-san,

04.10.2011 06:52, OZAWA Tsuyoshi wrote:
[snip]
As mentioned above, Accord is specific to write-intensive workload. It
extends the application scope of Coordination service.
Assumed applications are as follows, for example :
- Distributed Lock Manager whose lock operations occur at a high
frequency from thousands of clients.
- Metadata management service for large-scale distributed storage,
including Sheepdog, HDFS, etc.
- Replicated Message Queue or logger (For instance, replicated RabbitMQ).
and so on.

Ahm, very interesting. I have one upcoming project where I definitely need something like accord (if I understand its features correctly).

Would you please answer some questions to make things clearer in my mind?

* Do you have any estimations, how many key-value pairs may it keep (in memory)? What data structures do you use for that mode (lists, trees)? How fast may it locate specific key-value pair (O(N) or faster?)? * Is it suitable to store large amounts of data (billions of key-value pairs, terabytes of data)? I mean in-memory mode. * What does "distributed" exactly mean? May it spread data over cluster nodes in a controlled fashion? I mean something like "sharding". * What does "fully-replicated" exactly mean? Does it store replicas of data? May one control how exactly replicas are placed over the cluster? * Do you plan to implement (or already did it) data checkpointing for in-memory mode? I mean, is it possible to flush in-memory data to disk at some points? And, of course, load that data at cluster startup.
* What do you consider as a possible alternative to BDB for disk mode?

Thank you and best regards,
Vladislav