Re: OCESQL and Data Types

James,

On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 08:31:57AM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:

> Can you give me a sense of the kind of information stored in that
> column?  If it's what it should be -- an atomic datum -- then it's
> misdefined in the database, and the question of how to handle it is a
> management problem, not a technical one (because the display will
> truncate the data arbitrarily).

I tend to use unlimited character varying fields for text fields that might
contain long-ish strings, though not necessarily ridiculously long strings.

The database I was wanting to try out with OCESQL is one loaded with some
basic title details from the IMDb's title basics data set available at:

    https://datasets.imdbws.com/

The description of the title.basics.tsv.gz file doesn't specify how long any
of the string columns might be, so I defined them as unlimited character
varying columns.  The longest column is the primaryTitle column.  At the
moment, the longest primaryTitle in the data I have loaded is 419
characters.

I would like to set up a GnuCOBOL application to catalog my DVD/Blu-Ray
collection, including details available from the IMDb's datasets, etc.  I
would probably want to add a plot summary column, which might range in size
from a few words to several paragraphs.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

[Index of Archives]     [Gcc Help]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Info]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]