Re: EBCDIC support

Hi Michael,

the current EBCDIC support in GnuCOBOL is limited to:

* `make checkall` (internal and NIST85 tests) pass when running on
  an "EBCDIC native" environment
* understands EBCDIC numeric display sign when interpreted, to use it
  for "creating" them on an "ASCII native" you can compile with
  -fsign=ebcdic
* you can specify "IS EBCDIC" for an ALPHABET in special names and so do
  stuff like referenced currently in the FAQ under 5.16 [1]:

SPECIAL-NAMES.
ALPHABET ALPHA IS NATIVE.
ALPHABET BETA IS EBCDIC.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
INSPECT variable CONVERTING ALPHA TO BETA

* you can reference an EBCDIC alphabet to be used as collation for
  `SORT table`:
  SORT TBL DESCENDING KEY X SEQUENCE BETA

[1]: https://gnucobol.sourceforge.io/faq/index.html#ebcdic

As far as I know from the discussion boards there are EBCDIC preparsers,
but GnuCOBOL has not yet build-in support for EBCDIC as needed, which at
least would be:

* allow EBCDIC encoded source-code (converted to ASCII on read-in)
  --> work around: one-time change with iconv
* an option to change the "NATIVE" collation to EBCDIC by dialect option
* an option to change the PROGRAM COLLATING SEQUENCE by command-line
  option
* allow to specify the collation for ORGANIZATION INDEXED (it is always
  "native" with the exclusion of DB collections setup externally with
  the DB INDEXED handlers in GnuCOBOL 4)
* on-the-fly conversion of ACCEPT/DISPLAY, possibly also for parameters
  in LINKAGE/CALL USING

That's all definitely on the road-map - but so far only as "patches
welcome".

Simon

BTW: and of course "EBCDIC" itself also comes with different variants,
GnuCOBOL EBCDIC alphabet, if unpatched, is likely the "default US variant"