Re: GnuCobol and GTK3+

arch wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I am interested in interfacing GnuCOBOL and GTK3+.  Is there anything
> available to accomplish this mission?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arch

Hello, Arch.

It needs work in terms of the styling layer, when the GTK folk broke
being able to change the colour of a button in code, relying instead on
a CSSish external file, I gave up trying to keep up with the continual
breakage.  Anyway, take a look at cobweb-gtk.

Discussion and some bragging
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnucobol/discussion/cobol/thread/ab28685d/

Some griping
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnucobol/discussion/lounge/thread/50081777/

The code
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnucobol/contrib/HEAD/tree/trunk/tools/cobweb/cobweb-gtk/

That was 6 years ago now.  Supposedly GTK+ 3 has "stabilized", (I think
the GNOME folk ran out of stuff to break), but at this point GTK 4 is in
the works and releases will probably go through another 5 years of
continual breakage.  Though that may well be a sour grapes opinion on my
part.  GNOME seems to think that desktop development should work on a
touchscreen phone.  Nice theory, but utterly wrong thinking in my humble
opinion.  Phones are devices for consuming, not efficient development nodes.

I lean to Agar for a stable(r) path to GnuCOBOL GUI work now.  A much
smaller team works on libAgar, so it's not as refined in look, but still
covers all the needs, in a much smaller but still cross-platform package.

https://sourceforge.net/p/gnucobol/discussion/cobol/thread/c2ac66c1

Have good, do well,
Blue

[Index of Archives]     [Gcc Help]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Info]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]