static linking (Re: COB_PRE_LOAD)

Am 19.05.2020 um 01:27 schrieb James K. Lowden:
> Is there a static alternative to COB_PRE_LOAD?
>
> I would like to compile my Cobol program, linked to Cobol libraries,
> without relying on any runtime configuration.
>
> [...]
>
> i would like the user to use the program without requiring runtime
> configuration that is simply a by-product of the fact that the program
> was written in Cobol.
>
> --jkl

The common way to link COBOL to COBOL is to use statically linking and
only produce one executable. This *should* be covered in the GnuCOBOL
manual.

Either something like
   cobc -static bar.cob foo.cob

or (likely more reasonable with bigger environments using make)
something like the following

all: foobar

SUFFIXES = .cob .$(COB_OBJECT_EXT)
FOOBAR_OBJECTS = foo.$(COB_OBJECT_EXT) bar.$(COB_OBJECT_EXT)

.cob.$(COB_OBJECT_EXT):
   cobc -static -c $<
foobar: $(FOOBAR_OBJECTS)
   cobc -static $(FOOBAR_OBJECTS) $<

Simon

[Index of Archives]     [Gcc Help]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Info]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]