Re: writing concurrent code : possible with gnucobol?

On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 08:13:53AM -0500, Brian Tiffin wrote:
> Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >hi,
> >
> >do cobol in general and gnucobol specifically possess any capabilities
> >that can facilitate writing programs which can take advantage of
> >today's multi-core hardware systems?
> >
> >suppose i wish to write a financial accounting system running atop a
> >gnu/linux based distribution like say ubuntu, would gnucobol run as a
> >single threaded process? or can i introduce concurrency? and is it easy
> >to achieve?
> >
> >if yes, any pointers for reading material would be nice to have. :)
> >
> >thanks,
>
> Update and correction;  I wrote the last message too fast.  (And pretty much
> verified Dr. Hipp's views).  libmicrohttpd was likely using "fork" when the
> small demo I setup was borked. Threading will be a deeper issue, and will
> almost always need lock step code to protect shared data spaces.
>
> Sorry for any confusion my initial, less than clear message sounded.
> Threads are evil, avoid them.  ;-)

noted. :)

i am currently refreshing my computer science knowledge (hands-on) and
will be following that up with learning 'cobol' thoroughly using a book
on the same by mr. coughlan.

thanks for sharing the information and dr. hipp's views. :)

~mayuresh