From: Brian Tiffin [mailto:bwtiffin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:29 PM
To: Tommy Poesoro; open-cobol-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Want to start using Open Cobol

Tommy Poesoro wrote:

>     Hi from Jakarta - Indonesia!
>

>     Dear Friends,
>

>     I have been using Microsoft/MicroFocus COBOL version 4.5 since 1986.
>
>       I have a set of applications still used until now by some of my
clients. The applications are running on Windows server 2000 and accessed by
terminals using Windows XP, Vista and 7 through DOS commands.

>     After almost 40 years running and serving its purpose, now the users
seem to face inconveniences when using my application, like the DOS windows
(which used to be enlargeable in XP by pressing alt+enter) cannot do the
same anymore in Vista or 7.

>     Now the server's OS is being upgraded to Server 2003, and apparently
2003 is having problems in being accessed by the terminals if using Windows
older than Vista or 7. Thus they cannot enjoy big characters in DOS windows.

>     But aside of the above, I intend to port my application to something
more modern and being able to run on Windows or other platforms and the
possibility to access the application through the web and if the Indexed
File System has to be changed to a DBMS system, I need suggestions, input on
how to proceed and what compiler version of Open-Cobol is better to be used.

>     1.        Original source is the version supported by MF Cobol 4.5
>
>     2.        Which Open Cobol version should I use and where can I
download it from?

>     3.        Where can I download/buy the corresponding technical
manuals?

>     4.        What DBMS can be used?
>
>     5.        Is there a conversion tool available to convert my source
into Open Cobol?

>     6.        What platforms can Open Cobol be installed on, is there a
specific version for Windows and another for Linux?

>     7.        What additional tools do I need if I want my application to
be accessed through the internet?

>     8.        What are the costs that I should pay when using Open Cobol
(runtime license?, additional tools?)

My take on it:

2) SourceForge.  Project is now called GnuCOBOL, accepted as a GNU
project for almost 2 years now, and days away from the Free Software
Foundation officially owning the copyrights.

But, read this first;
http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/gnucobol/#how-do-i-install-gnucobol

and

http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/gnucobol/#what-is-the-current-version-of-gn
ucobol

3) No buying.  We try and keep links to all the goodness at
http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/guides

Umm, the new COBOL 2014 Standard does cost.  Ireland's standards body
had one of the cheapest advertised.

4) A fair number now, getting better all the time.
http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/gnucobol/#does-gnucobol-support-any-sql-dat
abases

Umm, and just about whatever level of ISAM per-trickery you'd like to
throw at it.  Ron just added split and sparse keys to the reportwriter
branch, so ORGANIZATION IS INDEXED just got more coverage of some
existing uses.  Bonus.

(The code sample at
http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/gnucobol/#does-gnucobol-support-isam
needs to be updated)

5) Hrrmm?  Not sure.  Vim, AWK, and sed?  ;-)

6) :-)  Lots.  Sergey has builds for HP, big iron, and others, Simon
keeps on top of Windows, installations getting easier, all the time.
Pick POSIX though.  GNU/Linux.  It's good for you, and them, and us, and
those.  *Personal bias, feel free to ignore*

7) There is Steve's network layer, EZASocket, a sample Cloud build at
https://jujucharms.com/u/bwtiffin/gnucobol-sample/raring.  Umm, libSOUP,
build a Webkit/Core browser from seed (javascript engine) embedded in
GnuCOBOL.  cobweb.  Lots.  Umm, Almost all of it still at a stage of Do
It Yourself programming.  Freebies and starters, applications will
require time and effort, more often than not at this point.

8) No buying.  Burden on developers to read over license terms on each
and every component in use though.  If a libdb runtime call is involved,
Oracle requires release of source codes or negotiate a royalty.  Being
GNU we are ok with that, but there are VBISAM builds and other
alternatives in the wings, to ease commercial use burdens.

Commercial support for GnuCOBOL is available, if needs be, Open COBOL by
the C Side, OCCSide Inc, being one option.  (I'm involved in that
endeavour).

Look over the Guide and the FAQ, and the SourceForge Discussion groups,
and try running some sources through cobc, see how it goes. We'll be on
the Forge Discussions (and here) to answer any other questions.

Cheers,
Brian