Re: Identification Division still needed!

John,

I believe that - in keeping with standards - that should have been:

END-RANT.

:-)

I made the statements I did in the manual only because most shops seem to be discouraging the use of the descriptive paragraphs when COBOL85 (of any type) is being used.

The place where I work (New York State Office for Temporary and Disability Assistance - a UNISYS shop) cannot migrate a program into production that uses those clauses.  They have the compiler set to maximum alerting, even on simple standards violations, and when the migration system compiles COBOL85 (UNISYS UCOB) programs in order to move them to production, the compilations fail if REMARKS, SECURITY, INSTALLATION, et al were coded.

We fake it out by coding the ID paragraphs and then commenting them out.

Sent from my iPhone