GFS2 as virtual machine disk store

Hi list,
I am evaluating how to refresh my "standard" cluster configuration and GFS2 clearly is on the table ;)

GOAL: to have a 2-node HA cluster running DRBD (active/active), GFS2 (to store disk image) and KVM (as hypervisor). The cluster had to support live migration, but manual failover is sufficient (ie: if something goes wrong, is ok to require a sysadmin to take action to restore services).

The idea is to, by default, always run VMs on the first host (using virtlock or sanlock to deny the starting of the same virtual machine from the second host). Should anything bad happen, or should the first host be in maintenance mode, the VMs can be migrated/restarted on the second host.

I have a few questions:

- other peoples told me GFS2 is not well suited for such a tasks and that I am going to see much lower performance than running on a local filesystem (replicated via other means). This advice stems from the requirement to maintain proper write ordering, but strict cache coherency also between the hosts. However, from what I understand reading GFS2 documentation, when operating mostly on a single host (ie: not running anything on the second node), the overhead should be negligible. I am right, or orribly wrong?

- reading RedHat documentation here[1], I see that it is strongly advised to set cache=none for any virtual disk. Is this required from proper operation, or it is "only" a performance optimization to avoid what stated above (ie: two host sharing the same data in pagecache, thus requiring coherency traffic)? As I really like the improved performance with cache=writeback (which, by the virtue of barrier passing, comes without data loss concerns), you think it is safe to use writeback in production?

- I plan to have a volume of about 8 or 16 TB. I understand that GFS2 is tested with much bigger volumes (ie: 100 TB), but I would ask: do you would trust a TB-sized volume on GFS2? What about fsck? It works well/reliably?

- I plan to put GFS2 on top of LVM (for backup snapshot) and replicate the volume with DRBD2. Do you see any drawback in this approach?

- finally, how do you feel about running your production virtual machines on DRBD + GFS2?

Thank you all.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Global_File_System_2/index.html#s1-VMsGFS2-gfs2

--
Danti Gionatan