Re: GFS2 development plans

Hi,

On 13/11/15 08:13, Milos Jakubicek wrote:
Hi,

can somebody from the devel team at RedHat share some thoughts on what are actually the development plans for GFS2 in the future?

I mean: will it mainly be small and big performance improvements like in the past couple of years, or are there any major new things planned? In particular, I would be interested to hear about online fsck -- whether this is something that is at least being considered (on really big arrays with a large number of partitions around 10TB, fsck is really a pain).

Thank you
Milos

Well the best way to see what is currently going on, is to watch the cluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxx list, where you can see all the latest discussions. Since this is open source, it is not possible to give a definitive answer to that question - at any time someone might come along with a new feature upstream that we were not expecting!

From a purely Red Hat PoV, we try to listen carefully to what our customers & community are asking for when we decide what to work on next. So if there is something specific that you'd like to see, then we'd definitely like to know what that is, and (perhaps even more importantly) what the use case is.

Better error recovery is something that we'd like to do. It is unlikely to be possible to implement all the checks that fsck does online, but I hope that it will become increasingly possible to recover from certain kinds of error without requiring fsck for the very reason that you've mentioned above.

Overall our main priority is to maintain stability, and this has to override all other considerations, so any new features will have to go through a lot of testing, and we work to improve the testing just as much as the filesystem itself,

Steve.