cannot delete directories

Recently in an attempt to rm -Rf on a client that nfs mounts our RH6
resilient storage with gfs2 file system to remove old users directories
I have run into the problem where it deletes all content down the tree,
leaving all directories empty but it cannot delete the directory because
"the directory is not empty".  Even though it is.  Any ideas how to
correct this?
--
Sincerely,

Doug Tucker