Re: Working of a two-node cluster

Hi,

I would advise you to use quorum disk _only_ as a last resort - it's better to first get a solid understanding of the clustering solution before adding additional complexity.
An amazingly thorough and well described tutorial you can find here: https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2

Especially useful are the first chapters - the theory.
What I suspect is happening in your case is that your cluster communication and fencing are over the same network, which is not fault tolerant.
So what happens if this network fails? Your 2 nodes can't see each other, so they send fence requests, but the fence devices are unreachable too, so those requests fail.
They are retried a few times I think, but if all fail, the fence agent returns failed and your cluster is stuck in "recovering" or stopped state.
Other times the network outage is shorter and the fence succeeds, resulting in both nodes going down - this is solved with the delay parameter.
The first issue is architectural one, it is the expected behavior of the cluster to stop (or "freeze") all resources if it can't guarantee the state of all members.

Read the article above it's really very useful.

Cheers!