Re: gfs2 kernel versions

----- Original Message -----
| Hi there,
|

| right now we have a centos 6.4 (2.6.32-279) and a Gentoo (3.1.6) gfs2
| cluster running.
|
| The centos cluster shows some weird behavior with PHP processes “dying” with
| process state D (uninterruptable IO). The Gentoo cluster never had any of
| those problems.
|

| So I wanted to figure out what gfs2 versions both are running, but I cant
| find any significant information on that (changelogs based on kernel
| versions etc.)
|
| Is there any improvement in gfs2 going on in kernels like 2.6.32? or would
| it be much better to upgrade to a recent version (3.12 e.g.) to get all the
| performance features and bugfixes?
|
| Or is gfs2 split up in separate packages (gfs2-util etc.) and you can run
| current versions of gfs2 also on 2.6.32 kernels?
|

| Thanks in advance for your help. This really confuses me.
|

| Juergen

Hi Juergen,

Yes, there is ongoing performance work being done in GFS2 in versions
ranging from 2.6.32-X to upstream. (I'm doing much of this work).
This work is being done mostly in the name of RHEL6.X, but will probably
trickle down to Centos in due course. I don't know about Gentoo or where
it gets its stuff; sorry.

The more recent the version, the better and faster GFS2 should be.
So the RHEL6.4 version has a lot of performance patches over RHEL6.3,
and the RHEL6.5 version will have a lot of performance patches from RHEL6.4.
We (Red Hat) have a performance group that runs benchmarks against the
different releases and periodically reports the results to us.
Also, we work with our business partners to make sure various third-party
apps are running better/faster as well.

Very few (if any) of the performance improvements are being back-ported
to RHEL5 and/or the 2.6.18 kernels.

These are all being pushed upstream as well, which means they'll
make their way into Fedora, RHEL7, etc.

I don't recommend trying to run an upstream kernel (or RHEL7 kernel) on a
RHEL6 or Centos6 box; I doubt it would do the right thing, in general.

The same can generally be said about gfs2-utils as well. IOW, the newer
the package, the better performance will be, etc.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat File Systems