Re: Linux Cluster + KVM + LVM2

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply.

You need to setup a cluster with fencing, which will let you then use
clustered LVM, clvmd, which in turn uses the distributed lock manager,
dlm. This will allow for the same LVs to be seen and used across cluster
nodes.

Ok. I will try this.

Then you will simply add the VMs as resources to rgmanager, which uses
(and sits on top of) corosync, which is itself the core of the cluster.

So each virtual machine will be a resource, is it right?

I'm guessing that you are using RHEL 6, so this may not map perfectly,
but I described how to build a similar Xen-based HA VM cluster on EL5.
The main differences are; Corosync instead of OpenAIS (changes nothing,
configuration wise), ignore DRBD as you have a proper SAN and replace
Xen with KVM. The small GFS2 partition is still recommended for central
storage of the VM definitions (needed for migration and recovery).
However, if you don't have a GFS2 license, you can manually keep the
configs in sync on matching local directories on the nodes.

See if this helps at all:

http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Red_Hat_Cluster_Service_2_Tutorial

Actually we are using SL6 but we probably will migrate to RHEL6 if this environment will be used as production infrastructure in the future. So we will consider GFS2.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Marc

Best of luck. :)

--