Re: Two node cluster - a potential problem of node fencing each other?

redundant network link - i trust you were referring to ethernet bonding.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Ian Hayes <cthulhucalling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Parvez Shaikh <parvez.h.shaikh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question pertaining to two node cluster, I have RHEL 5.5 and cluster along with it which at least should have two nodes.

In a situation where both nodes of the cluster are up, and have reliable connection to fencing device (e.g. power switch OR any other power fencing device) and heartbeat link between two nodes goes down.

Each node finds another node is down (because heartbeat IP becomes unreachable) and tries to fence each other.

Is this situation possible? If so, can two nodes possibly fence (in short shutdown or reboot) each other? Is there anyway out of this situation?

This is a fairly common problem called "split brain". The two nodes will go into a shootout, fencing each other. There are a few ways to prevent this, such as redundant network links and the use of quorum disks.