Re: What is the proper procedure to reboot a node in acluster?

Hi,

Given fencing is properly configured, I think the default boot/sshutdown RHCS scripts should work. I too use two_node (but no clvmd) in RHEL5.5 with latest updates to cman and rgmanager, and a shutdown -r works well (and a shutdown -h too). The other node cluster daemon should log this as a node shutdown in /var/log/messages, and it should adjust quorum, and not trigger a fencing action over the other node.

If one halts and poweroff via shutdown -h one of the two nodes, and then reboots (via shutdown -r) the surviving node, the surviving node will fence the other. We have power switch fencing, and it should simply suceed (making a power  off then a power on on the other node's outlets). Once this fencing suceeds, the boot sequence continues and the node assumes quorum.

If later the other node is powered on, it should join the cluster without problems.

alvaro,

Hi there,

I've setup a two-node cluster with cman, clvmd and gfs2. I don't use qdisk but had

<cman expected_votes="1" two_node="1"/>

I would like to know what is the proper procedure to reboot a node in the two-node cluster (maybe this applies for all size?) when both nodes are functioning fine but I just want to reboot one for some reason (for example, upgrade kernel). Is there a preferred/better way to reboot the machine rather than just running the "reboot" command as root. I have been doing the "reboot" command so far and it sometimes creates problems for us, including  making the other node to fail.

Thank you very much.
Shi
--
Shi Jin, Ph.D.