GFS tuning for combined batch / interactive use

Hi

We are running a 20 node cluster, using Scientific Linux 5.3, with a GFS shared filesystem hosted on our SAN. Cluster nodes are dual core units with 4 GB of RAM, and a standard Qlogic FC HBA.

Most of the 20 nodes form a batch-processing cluster, and our users are happy enough with the performance they get, but some nodes are used interactively. When the filesystem is under stress due to large batch processing jobs running on other nodes, interactive use becomes very slow and painful.

Is there any tuning I (the sysadmin) can do that might help in this situation? Would a migration to gfs2 make a difference? Are all nodes treated identically, or can hosts mounting the filesystem have any kind of priority/QoS? Which tools could I use to track down any bottlenecks?

In theory we could update kernel+gfs bits to a later release, though we saw the same issues when using the same cluster with a SL4.x stack, but for now it's

kernel-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.i686
kmod-gfs-0.1.31-3.el5.i686
gfs-utils-0.1.20-7.el5.i386
gfs2-utils-0.1.53-1.el5_3.1.i386