RHES4 box does not prompt for password after entering login id at console

I have a Dell 1850 box running  RHES4.6 with Tomcat 5.5.17
and Opinion 5.2.9 : tonight the Dataprotector centralized backup
failed to backup via this server's NIC.

After entering root at the login: prompt, the console screen clears
& it's back with the login prompt again without prompting for
password.

I would not want to reboot this box if possible as it's production.

Haven't tried ssh into it yet but anyway, I only recall there's root
login id in this box, there's no other login id & since it's a hardened
box, I can't ssh into this box using root.

any other idea?

There's no alert from the monitoring tool (which usually we'll get if
the filesystem or memory utilization or CPU exceeded the defined
thresholds or ping fails to this box).

TIA