Re: permanently removing node from running cluster

On 21/06/10 10:14, Martin Waite wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to permanently remove a node from a running cluster ?

All my attempts result in the node being in the state "offline,
estranged", and the node still counting as a member in the "Nodes: "
count from cman_tool status ( but not in the "Expected votes:" count -
so I think the quorum size is correct).

It appears that the only way to permanently remove references to a node
is to restart cman on the surviving nodes.

My procedure for removing the node is:

1. relocate any services running on the node

2. edit cluster.conf to remove the node from clusternodes

3. push the config to the cluster with ccs_tool

4. stop rgmanager on the node to be removed

5. stop cman on the node to be removed.

At this point, clustat on a surviving node shows:

Cluster Status for EDISV1DBM @ Mon Jun 21 09:46:45 2010

Member Status: Quorate

Member Name ID Status

------ ---- ---- ------

svXprdclu002 2 Online, Local, rgmanager

svXprdclu003 3 Online, rgmanager

svXprdclu004 4 Online, rgmanager

svXprdclu005 5 Online, rgmanager

svXprdclu001 1 Offline, Estranged

Service Name Owner (Last) State

------- ---- ----- ------ -----

service:ACTIVESITE svXprdclu002 started

service:MASTERVIP svXprdclu002 started

The removed node (svXprdclu001) is still known to the cluster, but is
now "estranged".

The node has been removed from the "Expected votes" count, but not the
"Nodes" count:

sudo /usr/sbin/cman_tool status

Version: 6.2.0

Config Version: 19

Cluster Name: EDISV1DBM

Cluster Id: 35945

Cluster Member: Yes

Cluster Generation: 1008

Membership state: Cluster-Member

Nodes: 5

Expected votes: 4

Total votes: 4

Quorum: 3

Active subsystems: 8

Flags: Dirty

Ports Bound: 0 177

Node name: svXprdclu004

Node ID: 4

Multicast addresses: 239.192.0.1

Node addresses: 10.3.18.24

If I then choose a node (not running the services) and restart cman,
this node no longer _/sees/_ the removed node:

[martin@cp1edidbm003 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/clustat

Cluster Status for EDISV1DBM @ Mon Jun 21 09:53:34 2010

Member Status: Quorate

Member Name ID Status

------ ---- ---- ------

svXprdclu002 2 Online

svXprdclu003 3 Online, Local

svXprdclu004 4 Online

svXprdclu005 5 Online

[martin@cp1edidbm003 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/cman_tool status

Version: 6.2.0

Config Version: 19

Cluster Name: EDISV1DBM

Cluster Id: 35945

Cluster Member: Yes

Cluster Generation: 1008

Membership state: Cluster-Member

Nodes: 4

Expected votes: 4

Total votes: 4

Quorum: 3

Active subsystems: 7

Flags: Dirty

Ports Bound: 0

Node name: svXprdclu003

Node ID: 3

Multicast addresses: 239.192.0.1

Node addresses: 10.3.18.23

However, I would prefer not to relocate my services in order to restart
cman on every node.

You don't say what version of clustering you are using. In cluster3 nodes can be removed permanently from the internal cluster lists by removing it from cluster.conf and reloading it. In versions Before that they hang around until the whole cluster is rebooted.

It's just a name in a list and the inconvenience should be purely cosmetic. A node that is not in the cluster has no effect on any cluster operations.

Chrissie