Re: Is nit worth setting up jumbo Ethernet frames on the cluster interconnect link?

You probably wouldn't gain much, if anything.  I see packets averaging around 130-160 bytes in size on one of our clusters.  Fewer than 1% of packets are greater than 1400 bytes in size.

On the other hand, if you are using Ethernet for storage, you almost certainly want jumbo frames on any such interfaces.

Jeff

From: linux-cluster-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-cluster-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jankowski, Chris
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 7:27 AM
To: linux clustering
Subject: Is nit worth setting up jumbo Ethernet frames on the cluster interconnect link?

Hi,

On a heavily used cluster with GFS2 is it worth setting up jumbo Ethernet frames on the cluster interconnect link?  Obviously, if only miniscule portion of the packets travelling through this link are larger than standard 1500 MTU then why to bother.

I am seeing significant traffic on the link up to 50,000 packets per second.

Thanks and regards,

Chris