GFS handling of executable files and I/O

I made /var/www gfs shared so I could share cgi-bin directory among cluster nodes. Yesterday we tested this out and failed. Users complained about slow page execution and I noticed with 'lsof /var/www/cgi-bin' command that many executable files are listing as open files. This brings me to a question - Does GFS treat executable files same as files open for read / write?

Unrelated to previous question, what GFS parameters can I tune with 'gfs_tool settune /volumename' to get better I/O? I am dealing with single threaded application that has a lot of I/O, mostly opens files for writing.

--
Alan A.