Re: Cluster Suite 4 to 5 upgrade?

Doug Tucker wrote:
I have a RHCS currently on RH 4.8. My question is 3 part. Is it possible
to join a RH 5.4 cluster machine to a 4.8 cluster?

In a word - no.

If not, is there any
upgrade path that does not compromise the data? IOW, could I take the
backend storage currently running on the 4.8, and connect it to a new
5.4 without data loss?

I presume you mean that you have a GFS volume on a SAN that you want to keep after the upgrade. I'm not 100% sure (perhaps someone from RH here could confirm), but I believe the on-disk GFS format is the same between the versions that ship with RHEL 4.8 and 5.x. Note that you still won't be able to have the volume mounted on both 4.x and 5.x machines at the same time.

Or, can I do an "upgrade" of the existing
cluster machines from 4.8 to 5.4?

AFAIK, the "upgrade" process isn't supported. It might work, but the chances are that you'll be better off doing a clean install and copying the minimum required configs over.

Gordan