Re: Snapshotting GFS and freezing

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Sturm schrieb:

The important consideration here is:  How long can you withstand the
filesystem being frozen?

You can freeze it, copy all files (e.g. with rsync) and unfreeze,
potentially over the course of a few hours.  If that's okay with your
application and users, go right ahead.

Or you can freeze, snapshot and unfreeze, and potentially be done within
a few seconds.  That's the beauty of snapshots--we do it online with
little or no user disruption.
That means you can unfreeze gfs before undoing the snapshot? The snapshot has to be CREATED with frozen gfs but can go on WORKING with unfrozen gfs? If that is right I would like to understand this in detail. Why does gfs have to be frozen for creating a snapshot?

Dirk
-Jeff