Re: can not mount GFS, "no such device"

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Diamond Li wrote:
after I use mkfs.gfs2, it works. However, I did not see any document
to mention this command,  always gfs_mkfs.

I'm not sure what you're doing differntly (you omitted the FS creation command in your previous email), but this works just fine for me:

gfs_mkfs -j 2 -p lock_dlm -t test:root /dev/hdb
mount /mnt/gfs

The fstab line is:
/dev/hdb   /mnt/gfs   gfs   defaults,noatime,nodiratime   0 0

I had a similar problem in my Redhat Clustering and Storage Management class the other week. I believe the problem was with a couple of mistakes I made while playing around in one of the labs. I know once it was because I was trying to mount the block device instead of the logical volume.

in my humble opnion, redhat has a log way to provide real enterprise
solution, both from software quality and documentation.

There doesn't seem to be enough in this thread to persuade me that the cause of problems isn't user error. :)

IIRC, gfs2 is still under development and considered experimental. There's tons of documentation for production-quality GFS and I imagine once gfs2 gets more mainlined, this will be the case also.