Re: Trying to locate the bottleneck

Hi Guys

I am trying to locate ip_conntrack_max within CentOS 5.3 but it doesn't appear to be where I expect it to be. I have googled for this and from what I have read it should be located within

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max

Which is where I thought it would be but unfortunately it isn't.

Here is some output

[root@loadbalancer-01 ~]# grep conn /proc/slabinfo
ip_vs_conn 0 0 128 30 1 : tunables 120 60 8 : slabdata 0 0 0

[root@loadbalancer-01 ~]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-headers-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

[root@loadbalancer-01 ~]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
cat: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max: No such file or directory

I have also checked within  /etc/sysctl.conf and nothing.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Raymond

Raymond Setchfield wrote:
Hi Jeff

Many Thanks for your reply.

I have had a look to see if there if there is anything suspicious within dmesg and within messages and unfortunately there isn't anything at all apart from one timeout.

Jul 8 10:15:51 loadbalancer-01 nanny[5427]: [inactive] shutting down 192.168.10.36:80 due to connection failure Jul 8 10:16:03 loadbalancer-01 nanny[5427]: [ active ] making 192.168.10.36:80 available

I'll check out the possibility of any network related issues which may cause this problem though.

Thanks for all your help!

R.

Jeff Sturm wrote:
Hi Raymond,

At those concurrency levels I would suspect network tuning may help.
Does dmesg show anything interesting on the load balancers during your
testing?

For high levels of concurrency on a NAT'd firewall or load balancer I
specifically remember having to adjust ip_conntrack_max upwards.
Perhaps network buffers as well.

-Jeff