Re: GFS2 performance on large files / mkfs tuning

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:41:20AM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:45:49 +0100, Andy Wallace
> <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 20:37 -0300, Flavio Junior wrote:
> >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Andy Wallace
> <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> just
> >> >

> >> Have you tried the same thing with another filesystem? Ext3 maybe ?
> >> Are you using RAID right? Did you check about RAID and LVM/partition
> >> alignment?
> >>
> >> If you will try ext3, see about -E stride and -E stripe_width values
> >> on mkfs.ext3 manpage.
> >> This calc should helps: http://busybox.net/~aldot/mkfs_stride.html

Oh.. nice tool. I've been always calculating manually. Then again the math
is pretty simple..

> > Yes, I have (by the way, do you know how long ext3 takes to create a 6TB
> > filesystem???).
>
> It depends on what you consider to be "long". The last box I built had
> 8x 1TB 7200rpm disks in software md RAID6 = 6 TB usable, DAS, consumer
> grade motherboard, and 2 of the 8 ports were massively bottlenecked by
> a 32-bit 33MHz PCI SATA controller, but all 8 ports had NCQ. This took
> about 10-20 minutes (I haven't timed it exactly, about a cup of coffee
> long ;)) to mkfs ext3 when the parameters were properly set up. With
> default settings, it was taking around 10x longer, maybe even more.

Interesting information.. what settings did you tweak for faster mkfs? Just
the things mentioned below?

> My findings are that the default settings and old wisdom often taken
> as axiomatically true are actually completely off the mark.
>
> Here is the line of reasoning that I have found to lead to best results.
>
> RAID block size of 64-256KB is way, way too big. It will kill
> the performance of small IOs without yielding a noticeable increase
> in performance for large IOs, and sometimes in fact hurting large
> IOs, too.
>
> To pick the optimum RAID block size, look at the disks. What is the
> multi-sector transfer size they can handle? I have not seen any disks
> to date that have this figure at anything other than 16, and
> 16sectors * 512 bytes/sector = 8KB.

Hmm.. how can you determine multi-sector transfer size from a disk?

Very good information you have here..

Thanks for posting it.

-- Pasi